Think about where your dollar is spent. Consumers have the power to reverse the vicious fast-fashion cycle, and demand clothes that do not cause chaos. The entire life-cycle of a garment, and its mere existence, is giving the fashion industry a dirty reputation. There are so many things in this world that we cannot control – fashion is not one of them.
By rethinking your clothing purchases / which retailers you purchase from, you are:
- casting your vote for the kind of world you want to live in
- providing better working conditions and livelihood of the humans who make your clothes (sometimes we forget that humans work for pennies so that we can wear the latest and greatest)
- slowing down the fashion industry, eroding away at our throw-away culture
- decreasing landfills
- wearing clothes that do not contain chemicals or strange multi-syllable components (skin is very absorbent, don’t forget that)
- decreasing deadly disease rates, globally (the humans who have to deal with our throw-away culture die at an alarming rate due to the amount of toxicity and pollution they live in/near/around because they cannot afford to move farther. This is a factor in the never-ending poverty cycle).
- eradicating child labor
- allowing factory workers to see their families (I watched a video about a mother whose child did not recognize her because she worked too much at the factory to barely make a living)…
- saving our wildlife!